Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Book Opinion: My Immortal Assassin by Carolyn Jewel

Being a fan of Carolyn Jewel's "My..." series I looked forward to "My Immortal Assassin".  The covers of her books are always hot too!  This series continued on with Durian, the sworn fiend to Nicodemus, and Gray, vanilla human.  Gray turns out to be not so vanilla after the mage Christoph kills Tigran, Gray's lover, and the demon directs the power of his magic into Gray. 

When Gray tries to kill Christoph, Durian intercedes.  Being a demon, Durian has no love for mages, but Nicodemus has agreed Christoph no harm will come to him if he doesn't harm "free kin" (which are demons without mage masters).  Now it's up to Durian to keep Gray from killing Christoph and keep the mage from enslaving Gray.

Okay, that was my interpretation of the book.  Here are my thoughts.  The book started off with what I've come to know as Jewel's formula.  Female in trouble, demon comes to kill her, for some reason the demon doesn't, they fall in love and have lots of sex.  There really wasn't a obvious story arc (but there were hints) from the first two books.  This is the book that really makes you aware that there will be more to the series (and why it will continue).

I liked this book but not as much as the second one--I liked "My Forbidden Desire" better than "My Wicked Enemy" even!  I knew a "Christoph" who was wild-eyed, too skinny and freakishly unstable, so I placed a mental image of him in the place of Jewel's Christoph and it worked well. 

On the case of the book as a whole, it felt a little all over the place and seemed a bit drawn out on the sex scenes -- not as in too much of one sex scene, but the build up seemed forced at times.  I had a little bit of difficulty in knowing who was talking.  However, I loved the concepts, I loved the world, I love the details.  That's why I'm going to be reading more!

I had some other nagging questions...but these are kinna spoilers...so don't look!
  •  Why did Gray give up going after Christoph?  -- I realize she did it to save Durian, but I'm just not convinced about the circumstance.
  •  Who made the stupid rule of not allowing demons to have sex in there true form without permission?  You might as well tell teenagers not to have sex.  See how good that does.  "Ah Nicodemus?  May I please have true form sex with this human?"  How's that gonna go?  I'd like to slap the most noble wise being that set that rule.  
  •  Why did Leonidas make Gray a full fledged witch?  That was kinda of like here ya go! Have this power that takes years of practice and training and now you have that all within a blink.  It did not make sense.  I mean Gray already had some of Christoph's magic, why not have it grow organically from that?  -- Weird scene.  
  •  When do I get to see more of Kaynan?  It seemed in the last book there was going to be a book about Kaynan and Matty, but that doesn't seem to be working out according to the third book.  

Now you might think I'm down on the book, but I'm not.  I did like it, however I have seen better writing from Jewel and have fully confidence in her writing ability and to entertain.  So I'm getting the next book about Iskander!   On her website, it said it would be out July 2011.  But in the book it said January. 

Here's a link to her website: Carolyn Jewel

No comments: