Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why Every Word Counts

Marketing can do wonders for your book.  But maybe not in the way you think. 

Larry Prevost just posted a marketing tip on his blog (Larry Prevost-Awesome dude and great advice here)) outlining how the words "this" and "that" have a profound affect on buyers.  He states the word "this" brings an item closer conceptually into peoples minds and the word "that" pushes an item or idea away. 

While I'm reading Larry's post I'm thinking; words really do have the power to shape the mind.  A simple word like "this" can evoke an emotional response much like "food".  A gambit of images comes to mind with every word.  It made me realize how learning the emotional response of words, even simple ones, can bring power to your book. 

As I write my post I think, Now why did I say book and not manuscript in the last sentence?  Don't they mean the same thing?  A book is the finished product, while a manuscript is still in progress.  That was an example of how to present words.  Much like marketing, your words are important.  There are more words in a MS than an ad, but learn from those marketers who only have 30 seconds or 6 words to get your attention. 

It gives new meaning in my mantra (Every. Word. Counts.)  I look forward to exploring the reactions I have to the words I read.  Certain words draw people into a novel.  It's all about the emotion behind the meaning of the words. 

Here's one word that sends strong emotions in many people I know -- Hitler.  One word.  Yet I feel fear, hate, grevance, and a disbelief of one that can cause cruelty.  I counter act that word with another -- Abundance.  I feel warm, safe, comfort and my hackles are down.  Wow.  Words=Emotion.  So when you're writing use that!  Chose your words carefully because every word counts.  

No comments: