Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Curiosity

Touchdown never sounded so good!  

We watched and waited like so many other Americans on NASA tube.  We've seen the animated video and we've tracked on eyes in the sky for the rover.  

I didn't dare believe it until the first thumbnail came in.  When it did I knew that little VW bug had a life of its own--a soul.  It was like Curiosity sent a picture saying, "I'm okay!  See, feet on the ground!"  

"Curiosity" captured me by its name.  It's the rover that embodies human nature. This rover has but one duty, one objective.  To explore Mars.  It gets to spend it's whole life wandering around, collect samples and report back.  

It could get lonely, but I know of one other rover still alive on Mars.  It would not surprise me if they were seen hanging out.  

Everyone who worked on the rover did a miraculous job.  We could get spoiled by NASA's perfection but this was a multilayer process where everyone labored over and thoroughly thought out.  It took combined effort to get this machine to Mars.  NASA is proud of their job and the feat they overcame to get the largest rover ever built safely to another planet.  We are proud of them.

No comments: