Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How I Improved My Writing Skills


I first started writing in my journal, in my blog, but never really for anyone else and boring as... (explicative word here).  Then stories that circulated in my head wouldn't go away until I wrote them down.  They were short at first and then one day I started writing a novel.  It took me a while to realize what I was trying to do was write a book.

My first original novel that I wrote and was not fan-fic became my project to better myself as a story teller.  I realized I was really into writing and went down the road so far as to try and study the craft.  Okay, that's the nice way of putting it.  What really happened was my mind would not allow me to stop thinking about the story.  I was (and still am) obsessed about my book.  I had to improve on it.  I knew it wasn't up to par with published stories and started writing shorts for practice.  My blog became practice.  I strive to improve my writing and it could be my full time job, it just doesn't allow me to live in the life style that I've become accustom to.

Everyone has advice for how to improve your skills.  I'd tell you to go look on a published authors site for real advice, but since you're here, I'm going to tell you what I've done so far--and here it is!

*  First thing I did was become a member of Writer's Digest.  I've found them to be a great resource for improving your craft.  They offer free advice, classes, services and introduce new methods to your all-around writing process.  They focus on non-fiction and fiction alike.  They seem to be a very well put together orginization (at least from the outside) and membership comes with a directory of agents and publishers.

Without them, I might have never been critiqued by Les Edgerton, one of the most interesting and knowledgable writing teachers I've ever know.  I also got a critique from Janet Reid who I admire for her straight forward methods that really makes you work and improve.  Writer's Digest was also responsible for me stumbling upon Rachelle Gardner, literary agent who's blog is an inspiration and gives insight into the publishing business.  So, what I've learned about from them has been priceless for the price of admission. 

*  Join a community.  Do you have visions of that moody writer that never gets out?  Well, forget it!  Get out there, be professional and get your face known.  Be willing to learn from everyone even if they are writing non-fiction and your writing fiction.  They have a story to tell just like you. Both parties can learn from each other.  Plus you go out, you say "hey, I'm willing to learn" and people will help you.  It's a part of the reason why people write, to help work something out themselves or help others.  Plus, people love to show what they know.  I joined an online group called Fanstory.  I found a local group of writers on Yahoo that meets every month at a bookstore.  I think only writers can understand other writers so be with your peers, exchange ideas and methods.  It's a great way to improve your skill.

*  Read.  Absolutely read your favorite books and pick apart why they work!  Read blogs that give you tips on writing.  Don't leave out the wonderful by-product of writing, which is reading!

*  Go to a class or an online class.  Might seem obvious but I can't recommend enough how learning from published authors helped me.  They are always honing their skills, so be no different than a professional!  Learn from those who have experience and are willing to give that knowledge.  I took classes and WOW did my writing improve. 

*  Write!  Ever hear of the mantra "write everyday"?  Well, writing is a muscle that can grow weak if not excersised.  There is this blog of a mother of 3 that writes her novel "10 minutes at a time".  I admire that because she writes everyday when she can where she can.  She's an inspiration and if she can do it...

What about you?  How do you improve your skills?

No comments: