Friday, February 24, 2012

Aim For The Bushes

Inciting Incident: Two Chicago cops high on their own ego's jump twenty stories in pursuit of bank robbers. 
 
I watched "The Other Guys" with Will Ferral and Mark Wahlberg Sunday and am still reeling in disbelief.  (Spoiler alert) It was the scene where Samuel Jackson and Dwayne Johnson's characters bump each others knuckles and The Rock says "Aim for the bushes." and then they jump TWENTY STORIES. (End Spoiler alert)

I'm still thinking, why?  How did they think that was going to turn out fine?  Do men get testosterone poisoning so bad to the point of stupidity?  You bet.  I've seen it.  I guess it is how teenagers get killed--mostly boys by the statistics--but I'm still in a state of displacement trying to understand.  

Okay, yes, it was a movie.  The effects were awesome and it wasn't real, but still I've witnessed and prevented friends (in high school) from playing chicken with trains.  So I understand testosterone poisoning.  The thing is--I believe something like that could happen in real life. 
 
What prevents someone from feeding off their egos and "aiming for the bushes" when you live in a concrete jungle?  Sane friends, and only if you listen to them.  

What that movie really impressed upon me were two things.  First, don't jump off the top of a twenty story building.  Or, don't let your ego blind you.  

Second, there are a lot of zeros on the price tag of the government bailouts given to banks.  Holy moly!  If you watch the credits of the movie it gives you a disturbing visual. 
 
I might never understand the superman complex, but then again, people don't understand how some of us can ride a horse without fear or hesitation. 

 

No comments: