Sunday, September 23, 2012

Hiking: Los Angeles, CA: La Tuna Canyon Park

Thank you Donald Weller for editing this panoramic!


This two hour walk felt like coming home from a long stint away from family.  You start your ascent by the 210 fwy that crosses over La Tuna Canyon.  After 1/2 a mile you have choices.  You can explore the back roads that follow the freeway.  Or you can take the right "Y" upward.  I stuck to the main fire road on the right. 
 
You can make this hike more difficult by taking left forks.  All in all you'll get to the same place.  Now I went to the top and turned back, but you can go down the other side of the mountain and wind up in Burbank .  The trails go everywhere in La Tuna Canyon so you can spend a whole day walking.  I didn't, but you can!
 
Bee warning!  There is a honey collection station.  I had three buzz-by's and a handful of curious bees circling me and Emma.  I'm not allergic or afraid and once up in elevation the ratio from bee to butterfly switches. 
 
Black butterflies with yellow and orange striped wings passed me so much I thought where's the convention?  

Yes, dogs on leashes are allowed.  Bring your own turd bags and be prepared to take them home.  There isn't a disposal at the trail head.  

Summary: This trail is perfect for someone wanting a long hike but not a challenging one.  It's up hill, yes, but I didn't find it extreme.  I watched a lady that must have been 94 on a trail bike peddling up the hill, so...after walking it myself and seeing that, I don't classify this trail extreme.  The view at the top is panoramic!  Highly recommend!  Bring extra water and your puppy for this one.  Best time to go is in the afternoon.  The hillside is such that it's mostly shade after 4pm.
 
Here's the stats:
 
Miles: 4.5
Speed: 2.4 mi/hr
Climb: 463 yrds
Time: 2 hours (to the top and back)
Dogs: On leash
Notes: Bring extra water, go during the afternoon 

No comments: