Thursday, September 27, 2012

Market Your Book Your Way


I'm not a gangly overconfident marketer.  I'm introvert.  Yes, I have friends I can be my silly self with, but I don't translate that as an outgoing author.  So, the hang yourself out to dry method of marketing doesn't appeal to me. 
 
People enthusiastically saying "Get out there!" or "You have to expose yourself to get noticed" is against everything in my nature.  

How can I win if I go against my very nature?  The wonderful thing about marketing is, many methods work.  I would rather introduce myself, not expose, not take off all my clothes and announce "I'm here", just a pleasant hello, a smile, see, I'm friendly.  Come approach me because I am not the one to bust in a circle of friends and start asking questions.
 
Maybe you are boisterious, loud and obnoxious and can handle the in your face marketing.  That's okay too!  Sometimes, I don't mind that type of approach, however, I'm not the type to do that. 
 
"Oh, but that's how you have to..."
 
No.  I don't have to anything.  And there are people out there who would appreciate my type of approach.  The here's my book, it's about...(30 seconds of calm explanation) and if your interested it's available...(10 seconds of naming places).
 
What I'm getting at is don't let people jostle you into marketing you don't feel comfortable with.  There is every type of marketing out there.  Marketing is another way of saying creative introduction to a product or service.  

So if you're not the outrageous blaring signals type of person, don't worry.  You can use your own style of marketing.  I'm not saying don't market, I'm not even saying don't be aggressive.  I'm saying do what is natural and go with it. 
 
But, if you don't market, don't expect a huge response. 

No comments: