Tuesday, October 9, 2012

3 Easy Ways To Lower Your Gas Bill

$4.67 for gas?  Crazy!  Wasn't it 4 years ago I filled my 12 gallon tank on $20?  But I'm still getting the same gas mileage as 4 years ago--which is typically 500 miles per tank.  Not bad for a gas only car.  Tesla has me beat, but I'm still waiting for an affordable electric car. 

If you own a hybrid, well, you might see the same mileage, but if you think about it your hauling two engines around and I don't consider the extra weight very efficient.  What mileage would the car get without the extra engine?  That might be interesting! 

But for those who might have calculated the math, you might ask, how do I get 41.5 miles to the gallon? 

It's not just because my 2004 Honda Civic has over 200,000 miles.  It's because I do a few things to while driving to help conserve gas. 

First, I will not tell you to roll on by the stop signs.  I observe all traffic laws and I come to a complete stop at all lights and signs.  So, no, you don't get a pass on the California stop.  Also, if you're a stress driver, this isn't going to work either, because it takes calm foresight to work.

1.  RPM
The tachometer--pay attention to it.  The most efficient speed, no matter in first or fifth gear, is when your tachometer reads 2,800.  Your engine loves you when you stay at that rotations per minute.  It could be 65-70 mph on the freeway.  It could be 30 mph on surface streets.  What ever street you're on, keep it at 2,800 and you will see your MPG go up.

2.  Conscious Stopping.
Sometimes we don't pay strict attention while driving.  We all do it, I understand your tired, it's been an exhausting day.  So take deep breaths shake it off and then turn the key.  If your conscious of the environment around you it's not only safe, but can save you gas.  How does this work?  Coast when you can and keep even pressure on the pedal to the right.  I take my foot off the gas as soon as I know I'm going to slow down.  Sometimes I know the lights going to turn green and I take my foot off the accelerator way before I have to stop.  Sometimes I don't have to touch the brake.  Also, coming off the freeway I coast down the off ramp until I must use the brake.

3.  Patience.
I stay to the right and allow people to pass me.  Sometimes I get to my destination five minutes later.  Those five could be important to you.  But, swerving around people, cutting off other drivers, and general speeding gets the difference of a paltry five minutes.  But, hey!  You got there first right!  So no problem.  While your taking those pills for high blood pressure I'm driving in, parking and walking in.  So if you want to win the race...no competition.  I'm like momma Honey Badger--I don't give a ****.  Do whatever makes you feel better.  Wonder why everyone is such "bad" drivers later.  I'm probably on the way of buying an extra dinner out because I saved in gas (and Geiko) sucker!  When other drivers pass me, I don't mind.  I pass other drivers too--because I want to keep my 2,800 RPM's!

All in all, if you focus on how you drive, enjoy the process of getting to your destination, then you might slow down a bit.  Slowing down helps too.  Let me know what your MPG is, I'd like to know!           

No comments: