Monday, February 4, 2013

Prince Charming...Is A Lie


He's not perfect. He's my kind of perfect. You see I've let go of the biggest romatic/relationship LIE ever told. 

Prince charming WILL BE...

...so drop dead gorgeous that every  woman on the planet will want him--even lesbians. (Ha! I didn't believe that one)




...will only have you in his mind and won't look at other women. AND regardless that he wants to watch Die Hard and you want to watch Pride and Prejudice, he'll go see the movie you want. (YUK! Can I join you and watch Die hard?)






...will bring you gifts or tokens of undying love. (Okay, DW does do that. I've figured out it's him bringing me coffee, or him bringing me my forgotten lunch from home, or my cell phone or sending me kisses via text)

...will own a white horse and ride up on said stallion and take you away into the sunset. (Where exactly is the sunset? Do we just ride and become burning smolders from heat stroke or does it get dark and then what do we do? Besides, I was the one who owned the white horse--that wouldn't let any guy ride him.)

...will own a castle and bring you to the top of the hill to square you away. (Ummm...he has a house alright and it's everything I can do to clean it. Yes, it's big and a pain in the rear to clean. I love the house, I love, love, love it...I have a dog and cats and I get to clean their poo but when things break. Oiy!) 

...will fight to the death just to kiss you. (Yeah. In real life that's escalates Stockholm syndrome and typically you wake up two years later wondering why your with this guy.)

...will know every thought and bend to your every whim.

...will be this AMAZING lover. He'll know everything about your body and want sex every 5 minutes. (Exhausting, you know the typical time it takes for a girl to get off is 40 minutes--I'm not the exception. While never leaving the bed is great, this blog wouldn't be possible if that were the case.)

...will know you are the one instantly! (pft! Took me 6 dang years. Maybe he knew instantly)

...will love and cherish you and do everything you say! He'll even read your mind and jump to your snap, he'll never look at another woman and...
 
STOP!
 
No, I did not believe in all that. What I did believe was my problems and issues would go away when my Prince Charming came through the door.  

I had this list of attributes I wanted in a man without really knowing what those attributes looked like in the real world. 

When you say I want him to have integrity, well then, what does that look like in real life? I'll tell you, it looks like me hemming and hawing, embarrassed, because DW won't let me get screwed by a movie theater employee for screwing up my ticket. 

What does thoughtful look like? Bringing me tea in the evening when I'm working. 

What does handsome look like? No, he's not Joe-football-I'm-a-star, but I get dizzy when he kisses me--every time. 

The rest of my list was not long, but it wasn't paltry either. All those things I wanted--I've forgotten. 

I'm too busy experiencing who I'm with now to make checklist of who I want to be with. There are things I'd like. He's not the most organized person. But I am. He can be Mr. Oblivious, but he over looks when I become "Mrs. Grace". He doesn't wear the latest fashions. He's not rich, but our bills are paid. He's not an alpha male but I'm a bit of a bossy mare. 

The point is,you have been lied to and it's time you wake up from the dream. It isn't real. Prince Charming is another way of saying that the person you are with will solve all your problems. 

Solve your own problems. Don't try to solve his. Learn that men do have feelings and wants of their own. Learn that people must take care of themselves before they can take care of anything else. 

When I say learn, I mean go to seminars, seek out relationship counselors, talk to others, discuss this fairy tale that does so much damage to how you interact with men--even if you do happen to have your "Prince Charming". I got lucky. DW is well kept secret.

 

 

No comments: