Friday, October 14, 2011

Blogging is Hard Work

Social interaction can be a breeze for many.  It can be fun interacting with other beings. But there does come a time when everyone needs a break.  My blog is a type of social interaction but it's more my personal thoughts brought out for the amusement of myself and friends.  I'm fairly religious about my online diary and while I hope it brings a laugh or thought on a topic I don't necessarily write my blog for anyone else but me.  These entries are but a reflection on my personality coming out in glimpses that others can see.  While I know the "rules" to a good blog I don't necessarily follow them.  That's why this "blog" is more a "diary".

Remember that blogging is hard work.  It's not just about rants, reviews or opinions.  A blog gives the reader information to share.  For me I like to provoke thought.  Not necessarily just give someone something to share.  My entries are more of a "huh, that's an interesting way of thinking about it."  So here are the ways that you need to have a successful blog and the explanations as to why this isn't a blog.

1. Consistency. 
Writing once a week, everyday or on a schedule is one of the most important issues of a blog.  How do you feel when you read an interesting article and then find the author hasn't logged in or posted in two years? (My every-other work day can seem inconsistent-but there is consistent cycle that works for me!)

2. Information.
Writing consisently is very important but how many people are going to read a see-through rant or subject matter that doesn't pertain to them?  How many will come back to read your blog if it's consistently informationless? (If my readers get information from my blogs, fantastic!  But, I really didn't mean to do that on purpose.  It's kinna an accident.  If you laugh at me, I expect that.  Poke fun at my craziness, that's more like it!)

3. Titles.
Don't judge a book by its cover is great advice for people but when trying to decide if a blog post will be worth reading--you may not go to the blog that claims itself to be "Nose Dropings".  Gross!  Its not only spelled wrong but I don't want to read about buggers. 



Now people won't tell you this but one of the main concerns for bloggers is not burn-out, but cats.  Yes, cats.  Cats steal your time, your mouse, chew on the battery cord of your laptop and make you use one hand to keep them off your keyboard while using the other to type; if its not helping to keep the dog away from the cat. 


Cats also have claws and dogs will jump over you to get to the cat.  I'm not positive on what my dog wants with the cat but anyway...back to blogging. 


So blogging is hard work and turning out to be more physical than anything.  Ideas come and are written down and then discarded because of lack of interest (mine not yours).  But out of every ten there is something I find interesting and blog worthy.  Those are the ones you see here!  Or I should say the ones that survive Mr. Knightly.

No comments: