Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Marketing Is Marketing


Marketing a book is much different than say marketing a service but in my publishing endeavors I combine the marketing that I know to understand the marketing that I don't know.  For instance; 

Q: What's the best way to get started in a consulting field as a new small business?   
A: First sit down and write out what makes you unique and different from your competition. Determine the added benefits and value that your customers will receive by working with you verses a larger firm. Once you get this clearly defined practice your delivery so you build confidence in yourself, your product and your services.

Let’s revert this question to; 
Q: What’s the best way to get my book published?
A: Great question!  First write down as to what makes your book unique and different from other books in the same genre.  Determine how your book stands out and then you’ll be able to present a query to agents and publishers that screams “publish me!”. 
 
Good advice right?  Yes.  Now implement it!  That’s where I go ummmm…
 
But if everything has been done under the sun and there is nothing new how can I implement this “unique” quality.  Here’s a clue; you are unique.  Your story can be described as dull as a knob polisher or you can find the excitement of this idea and talk it up.  Just like you can down-play that night with that guy that made your arms numb.  Or you can sing Little Johnny fireplug, I can’t feel my arms. 
 
What makes your story unique?  If it’s the writing—show that.  If it’s the concept explain that.  If you’re writing fantasy a part of that world must show through in the query.  In fact if it’s just fiction that world must show through anyway.  That’s the part agents and publishers want to see no less your audience.  I’m finding that the audience is the one to really please.  Agents and publishers are writing critics that have read many books.  If you impress them you’ve got something.  That hurdle is but one in a process. 
 
But if you don’t know what’s unique to your story, then how are you going to sell it? 

No comments: