Thursday, November 3, 2011

10 Minutes At A Time

I can't recall how many times I've read this term.  When I plan on sitting down and writing I don't think of time, I think of scenes.  All I ever want to do is write one scene a day. 

Sometimes that can take as long as eight hours.  Knowing that can give me mind cramps.  Eight hours?  I don't often have eight hours to write.  Heck, I don't often have eight hours to work most days.  But what pushes me to start is "10 minutes". 

It's not a case of attention span, it's a case of cramming every bit of life in a day.  I never say something will take me just 10 minutes.  I don't lie to myself like that.  I say I'll work on it for 10 minutes.  It's enough to get over the anxiety of not working on something else and get writing.  Somedays I can write for eight hours just sticking to the 10 minutes rule.  I get interupted like anyone else but roll with it.  Breaking down a story by scenes helps me create the best book possible.  Every scene is important.  I look at it from the perspective that I can come to it fresh.  I don't write like a mad woman for those 10 minutes.  I ponder my route, I think of what I want to say and I might get a sentence on paper.  But I don't compare my progress to others. 

I write how I write and sometimes I can only write that one 10 minute sentence in a day.  Hey look I wrote this post in ten minutes and I've written one novel like that.  If I can do it...

No comments: