Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Character Flaws

We all want to be strong and not have weaknesses.  We all strive to be perfect human beings don't we? 

Clue-in: perfect is boring.  Just like watching a perfect horse and a perfect rider do a perfect test.  BORE-ING.  Flaws are interesting.  It shows how very human we are.  But in real life everyone wants to be Superman without the Kryptonite flaw.  Did Superman ever try to become resistant to Kryptonite?  I can't say I've read all the comics but I'm going to guess no.  (P.S. -- If I'm wrong and you correct me, then you are totally missing the point.  Go back at the start and try again.) 

The point really being is; why do we concentrate on flaws?  In books the character makes those flaws into strengths.  But in real life have you ever done that?  For most, no.  You can improve flaws, you can know your weakness, but what about your strengths?  Concentrate on your flaws too much and the parts you have going for you slips.  I.E.  you practice on your front kick because it's weak but that movement starts to restrict your side kick which is really powerful and you know you can make a blow of 600 lbs or so with it but you practice the front kick to be "perfect".  The mentality of making your weakness your strength and becoming this super human with no quirks -- same as the perfect test -- BORE-ING. 

I want to find out what happens when I concentrate more on my strengths than my weaknesses.  Can I get my side kick to blow a 1,000 lbs?  And sometimes my obsessive organization (My strength) can be a weakness like when I drive my partner nuts from organizing his pens and he can't find them. They're in the pen holder hunny.  Yes, still too difficult to find, I know. 

So there's a new take on your weakness being your strength.  Maybe don't think of them as strengths or weaknesses but how you can use it to your advantage.  Maybe I won't get the perfect wrist lock on someone or ride that perfect test.  But I can side kick a knee into eternity.  I can ride a test on a horse that exuberantly jumps into the canter and tries to run out of the arena.  And, maybe someday I can leave my honey's pens alone.  :)

No comments: