Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Webinar's Done Right; Seven Secrets of Successful Self Published Authors

The latest free webinar from Writer's Digest was "Seven Secrets of Successful Self Published Authors".  Our hosts were Chuck Sambrio (Yay!  Love him!) and Keith Ogorek.  

As a presenter I thought Keith had some imperative information not only for writers who want to self publish but also for those that want to go the traditional route.  

He gave us the seven secrets of successful self-published authors and they all are self explanatory to the point it hurts!  I can phrase it in a sentence.  When you want something go get it.  So let's take a look at the steps to do that! 

 
1) Describe Your Reader.
Do you have in your mind's eye the person that will read your book.  "Every man, woman and child" is a lofty goal, and Kevin respects that, but let's narrow it down a little from that.  Who is going to read your book?  Are they 30-ish professional women with no romantic life or guys with a lazy streak and want to know how to do (fill in the blank here) fast.  Figure it out!  If you don't know who to market to, how do you expect to reach them?

2) Believe In Your Work.
Who doesn't believe in their work really?  You wrote it for a reason, right?  But this equates to not giving in to the fear of "If I don't get a traditional publisher I'll fail."  Kevin says NO WAY!  Believe in your work.  Let the reader decide.  Ultimately it's the readers who will tell you if your work is worth reading.  Not a publisher, not an agent, not an editor.  They ARE important, but Kevin says it's better to have that book out there than die with a manuscript in your desk drawer.  I agree!

3) Set A Deadline.
I'm at fault on this one.  I figured I'd work on my skill--I estimated ten years really, but now I'm thinking of pushing past that mentality.  A deadline whether it be by next years Comic-Con or my birthday doesn't matter.  It does matter that I have one.  This will push me to get it out there.  While I'm trying to "perfect" my craft I realize I will be spending my life perfecting my writing.  I will set a deadline but if I don't make it, I'll at least have pushed further and gone farther.  True I'll go down the route of looking for a home for my manuscript when I feel it's time, but having a date gives the goal more meaning. 

4) Understand Your Goals and Options.
Kevin says--what do you want for your book?  I say, You've got options!  Your bona-fine.  I say what do I want in my writing career?  Be clear.  Do you want to live off of your soul-exposing art?  Or do you want to write a book a year and build a platform for traditional publishing?  Understand self-publishing and traditional.  Look into each and see what you like about both and decide.

5) Social Media
Kevin isn't the only one who says social media is a plus for your book.  He also explained how you can get people involved with the issues surrounding your book--fiction, non-fiction your book is about something!  Blog about it's issues.  I'm thinking my first question might be, "Would you let your daughter marry a demon?"  Okay that's an interesting topic.  *snicker*  He also says, don't forget about word-of-mouth!  Still the best social media you can get!

6) Make A Marketing Plan BEFORE Your Book Is Published.
Read it again.  See how the word "BEFORE" is stressed?  Let's write it again class--Make a marketing plan before your book is published.  That means I'll need help--possibly from Abbot press (Kevin's company) if self-publishing is the way.

7) Party Hardy.
Yep you read it right.  Musicians are celebrated.  Performing arts are celebrated.  Novelists need to celebrate too.  When your book gets printed, do a book-lift-off!  Party!  One author based their book around a certain restaurant and had her book party at that restaurant.  Now a meal is on that restaurant's menu you can order.  Awesome!  Think about your party and how you can make it unique. 

Kevin went through much more detail than my above abbreviations.  Chuck said over 1,000 people attended!  That's great marketing for Abbot Press...and you know what?  I didn't feel marketed to.  Fantastic job Kevin!  Thank you Writer's Digest! 
 

No comments: