Tuesday, January 31, 2012

5 Easy Cures For Writer's Block

In my adventures I've found five reasons why writer's block occurs.  Since I'm seeing some of my friends ram themselves up against this proverbial wall I wanted to write about the "cures" I've found.

Here are the 5 reasons for writer's block:

 

1.  I'm writing when tired.

In my previous post I wrote about when to write and it's not always the best time to write when tired.  Why?  Writing takes effort of creative will that requires energy.  More energy than one might think.  Creative thoughts are less likely to come during the times you are tired.  If you have an exorbitant amount of energy at 2 a.m. then write at 2 a.m.  If you're still waking up at 6 a.m. that may not necessarily be the right time to write either.  Write when you are awake and have energy.  Coffee and note scratched inspirations may not be the pick me up you thought they would be when your body is trying to shut down for the night.

2.  My writing schedule has gone horribly astray.
You might think that writing whenever the mood strikes you or when you have time is a good method.  This doesn't work for most people because when they actually have a moment to write they don't know what to write.  The whirlwind of life doesn't shut off when you have ten minutes to settle and write.  It takes that long to get focused on writing.  But, if you set a schedule and stick to it you'll find your mind clicks into place and you can write.  Yes, you have a job, you have kids, you have obligations, blah, blah, blah...there is a time when everyone is quiet.  Kids go to bed, you come home from a job, you own your obligations and you can set them to the time that works for you.  Do the same for your writing--set a schedule that's you know you won't sabotage.


3.  I put too much pressure to write "correctly" during my writing time. 
Sometimes I can't put a word on the page because I'm in edit mode not writing mode.  Edit mode corrects mistakes, rearranges paragraphs, thinks logically and linear--everything opposite from writing mode.  Don't confuse the two.  Writing is writing for writings sake.  Editing can stop you in your tracks and tell you not to put that word on the page because it's the wrong one.  Writing mode is a child with non-washable crayons painting on the pristine white walls.  Editing mode is the parent that screeches into the living room, whisks the child into their crib and starts washing the walls.  Look, if your going to write you need to make a mess.  It has to begin or you get frustration.  A great exercise is to write anything on your mind and don't stop.  Not for air not for thought--just write words.  Coherent sentences will come.  Much like this post. 


4.  I badger myself with the question, "what should I write?" 
This is a clever form of tripping yourself up because writing should have meaning, right?  And do you think the non-washable crayon holding child within you really cares?  Heck scribble lines, meaning will come.  The insecurity of writing can trip you up but realize that it doesn't matter what you write.  When you write you're a writer.  When you read you're a reader.  When you stare at the screen thinking what should I write, you're a zombie.  Make your choice to which one you want to be. 
 

5.  I have too many concepts in my head.  
An opposite version of what should I write because I have nothing in my head is the I want to write everything and I can't start on one.  This isn't always a bad thing.  Make them into one story.  Let them all flow into one.  See where that takes you!  

Really the way to get rid of writer's block is to write.  Start off with writing the question what do I want to write but don't stop there.  Keep going.  Write colors, write what's in your room, write what's in your heart but never ever stop writing.  Babble if you must.  Also, know the signs of when to take a break.  If you look at these five writing blocks you'll notice that they are all just excuses for not writing.  I'm too tired, I don't know what to write, I'm no good at it, blah, blah, blah.  If it makes you happy to write, then write.  Which do you want to be?  The writer, the reader or the zombie?

No comments: