Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Disrespect Of A Name?


How am I to respond to someone who puts extra syllables or twists my name into a slang term?  What makes a person slur a name?  Is it familiarity or disrespect?  

Why call me Sturf instead of using the exotic beautiful name Stephanie?  Stephy is even fine with me.  But contorting my name into some kind of familiarization that you don't have, I find, comes from a malice one wishes to hide.  
 
Perhaps it's meant to irritate, but why?  Perhaps it's meant to endear and I can understand that.  

People have a sense of who they are and their name is their own.  Mangling a name is like a desecration of who you are.  What ego gain is there by playing with syllables of a person's identity?

Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way?  Tell me if I am.

No comments: