Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Epiphany of the Day

Word definition:
 
obtest
 
Meaning: to supplicate earnestly; beseech
 
Right then. Some of you will be saying, yeah beseech, like I'm suppose to know what that means.  WTH?
 
This is definitions gone a rye.  This is trying to describe the color blue to a person blind at birth.  Let's look up supplicate. 
 
supplicate: Ask or beg for something earnestly or humbly.
 
So obtest is more earnest than supplicate? 
 
beseech: Ask (someone) urgently and fervently to do something; implore; entreat.
 
So would obtest be less than beseech, even though its part of the definition of obtest?
 
I obtest that you shouldn't have to look up other words for the definition of the word you're looking for.  Does that make sense? 
 
This word has a happy ending because I do understand, but others sometimes I wonder.  How are some words explained without being experienced?  This is the flaw of language.  If you can't express yourself, you can't be understood which is what others are desperate for.  Why is the need to feel understood so paramount?  Is there a way to let that go and just be?  Is it an ingrained factor like having someone to witness and share your life?  If you can't even understand yourself then how is someone else suppose to? 
 
Know thyself.  Sounds like a commandment.  Maybe to love thyself is to care enough to get to know thyself.  In fact, I'm certain of it.  It's my new motto: To know thyself is to love thyself. 
 
This epiphany may have been said a billion years ago but I think I understand.  And it took trying to finger out a definition to a word to find it.  This brings me to another thought.  Are we made of words?  God spoke a word and here we are?  Words are the element of wind.  I think of people as the four elements combined and I'd like to find out what the other elements within us are.  What do you think?  

No comments: