Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Monetary Gain

"You should get something back for your effort."  I hear that all the time.  

What they mean is I should get money for my effort.  That in itself is not a bad thing.   

However, what if my currency isn't money?  What if my currency is paying it forward?  I have so much to be thankful for and give back.  What if this is what I can give?  What if nothing else I just want to give the world the best story I can write right now?  

To the horror or amazement of those that try to motivate me through money, they find it doesn't drive me.  Goals do.  Working as a team does.  Orchestrating a common bond is my currency.  I would pay money, and I do, to do those things. 
 
To call my writing a hobby would be the same as introducing the love of my life as "just my boyfriend".  There are no strong words to describe what writing is to me. 
 
Writing will always be a passion for me.  Monetary gain would be recognition.  It would help me put out more stories. But I can't help but feel along that fine line of making money and creating a story to believe in there is a loss of the original goal.  Unless the goal is solely to make money.   

I will keep writing because it's what I do.  It's that initial effort and then bringing a team together to "birth" the thing that drives me.  It comes from within which means it comes from the soul of the universe--as Paulo Coelho wrote.  

What about you?

No comments: