Monday, September 26, 2011

How A Dog Improved My Health

My German Shepard, Emma, is a pain in the ass and I love her for it.  There is no arguing...wait let me back-up...there is no question that Emma is my "it's time to walk" alarm clock.  This in itself has gotten me to get out and walk her in the mornings before work.  That right there is a wonderful health benefit.  When Emma "argues" with me about a contingency it's "bark, bark, whine, howl, moan, bark, bark."  This improves my problem solving skills trying to interpret what she wants.  A walk?  Food? Is it time to chase squirrels? Maybe she wants me to get out the Nerf gun so she can chase the Nerf bullets.  You never know but I can't always blow her off when she thinks I'm working too hard on the computer.  And in that, she relieves stress and stimulates mental powers I might not otherwise use.  Pets are natural healers in that they can mend a heart, lick off tears, and make us feel worthy from being their sole-provider. 


I've always loved dogs to the point of confiscating Neo, my mom and dads Laber-doodle for an hour every week, but never found the right predicament to have one.  I'd always had horses but they were boarded and not at home.  I have fish that make me laugh, a dog that keeps me honest about my exercise regimen and I feel responsible for two horses that have found a way to my heart that give me a surprisingly different connection from dogs and people.  But no matter what animal you have they are a purpose in your life.  Purpose might be the most healthy thing out there for mind, body and soul.  I give no less than those three qualities to Emma and it's returned two-fold.  

1 comment:

Donald said...

Yup Emma is a wonderful reminder.