Friday, September 30, 2011

Linear Writing

At the crest of completion
Other people's writing experiences have fascinated me since I began my learning curve of constructing a novel.  I especially wanted to know about their creative process.  How did you start out?  Did you have an ending before a beginning?  How did you get past the middle hump?
 
In between all these questions was my own experiences.  I've come across a span of time in which I didn't want to write.  Now I know for three months out of the year I'm the least creative but most playful. 

I have found that I am realatively flexible on the beginnings and middle of my story but not my endings.  Endings are suppose to have a point and I don't necessarily care how it gets there only that it does. 

I've tried getting down the entire book in draft form and then re-aranging the scenes to fit into a cohesive story but that doesn't work for me.  I write a scene and then edit it.  Write/edit process gives me time to think of the next scene.  Sure I know what the next scene should be but it doesn't always work out that way.  My story ability and space trajectory have a lot in common.  One minute detail will cause the rest of the story to veer into different dimensions, kinda like nasa is one-half a degree off in trajectory and sends its astronauts to Pluto instead of the moon.  BIG difference between having your character carry a gun or not.  Tiny detail, colossal difference. 

Brings to mind the detail of Holmes leaving his gun at home so Watson would see it and go after him to the ship yard.  That's why I don't get the draft down in it's entirety.  Having a story line helps.  I'm finding it helpful yet there are scribbles under scratches and scratches of previous story lines. 

I have also discovered that if I'm having a hard time writing a scene I back up re-read and begin to see how the path does need to be changed.  It's also the way my characters tell me they would never do that.  I've had a recent revelation that pairs-off with the outcome. With my temporary "why aren't you working?" tantrum I've seen a new twist to put in the book.  Still getting over that hump of what next but walking with the Emma will help with new ideas!  (She's my secret weapon)

No comments: