Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How To Inspire A Muse

Muse not talking to you?  Wake up at 3am with ideas in your head when you went to bed after midnight?  Have to break away from a well-worth conversation because that pest of a muse just won't let you go?  Yet when you do have a moment your muse stares back at you with that deer in the headlight look?  Well here's what you can do!

Bribery.  Good 'ol fashioned bribery.  I like to use chocolate myself.  Or a massage. Ice cream works.  Though money has never worked for my muse sometimes buying a Writer's Digest workshop has done wonderful things for my muse.  I've tried sex but that just puts him into contented sleep (Yes, I'm a girl and my muse is a boy who likes chocolate and ice cream--it's why my POV belongs to a guy).  While bribery is a slippery method to get Muse to come out it's worth mentioning because it does work occasionally.  

Consistency.  Do you have a set writing schedule?  For those who do try taking a break.  People have to get away from each other.  Twenty-four seven of even those you love will make you want to scratch their eyes out.  Think of your muse as a person and take a break from each other.  For those who don't have a set schedule ask yourself this--when you call a friend at the last minute and say hey, I'd like to get together, do you really expect them to drop everything and come running?  Your friends have lives.  Make a plan.  Don't expect them to be on time to your last minute request. 

Use your senses.  Squashing your muse like a pestering child because they want your attention at the wrong time will get you pouting and non-compliance.  Part of the reason your muse doesn't come out is because your still thinking of other things when you write.  Clear your mind with yoga before writing, listen to Beethoven or Rammstein.  I will go through a round of jungle jewels before I write to let my muse know--it's time to play!  Sometimes going on Facebook or reading the news will get me so mad I have to spew words on the page and that too will get my muse to flow. 

Your muse gives you that rush, that feeling like there is nothing in world like creating a scene and transforming a clean screen into art.  Your ideas come from the core of your being so be patient while your muse swims to the surface bypassing the layers of self-preservation and the mask that seperates civility and restraint from those things you'd like to say and do to those who push your buttons.  Your muse is a person too.  Your muse is the beauty you bring forth into the world.  Amuse your muse and you'll always have a friend with ideas.  (But notice I didn't say good ideas).

No comments: