Monday, April 16, 2012

Salespeople Have the Best Job on Earth


Relationships make a person fulfilled.  We all crave to connect with one another.  Who doesn't want to be understood, have people acknowledge our efforts, our life, and our lineage?  So those that have a job that actually pays to talk to people, build relationships, get involved in others goals and be a part of their life has the best job ever. 
 
Coming from this relationship building place while calling prospects nets more information from whoever you talk to.  People are memorable when you actually have a conversation even if they don't buy your product.  

Too many times have I listen to salespeople trying to hurdle over the "gatekeeper" to the person they want.  I've heard a sales person dismiss a "secretary" trying to help him get to the right person.  

That sales person couldn't get off the phone fast enough because he didn't hear what he wanted to hear.  She was trying to connect; he was trying to "sell".  This discourse of not connecting leaves a feeling of frustration or uselessness. 
 
Sales can be frustrating.  Sometimes when verifying contacts I have to stop and center.  I have to go back to that "morning" moment where I'm fresh and excited to go to work.  Sales have a lot of rejection to it but only if you look at it that way.  

I'm eager to connect with people and in turn I don't just verify name and company.  I connect, have a quick chat and at the end of the phone call I hang up with a smile.  That's why I think salespeople have the best job on earth!     

No comments: