Monday, April 30, 2012

Critique partners--A Look Into A Creative Process


Recently, I've become a critique partner advocate!  There is nothing like a second or third fresh mind looking at your WIP.  

Refining your own manuscript with the aid of an outside source can give depth into your story, characters and overall meaning of what you want to say.  

Also, critiquing work gives me the chance to see my own work in a different light.  Looking at something new to critique gives me inspiration.  My fellow writers, weather they are just beginning or not, give me the awe inspiring feeling because I know what they are going through. 
 
I think the best thing about critique is not the learning involved on both sides but being a part of the process of a good story.  It takes more than one person to build a novel.  

I definitely agree with what Neil Gaiman said in "American Gods" -- you don't ever learn how to write a novel.  You learn how to write the novel your writing.  

Such words to live by and learn from.  Never stop learning.  Never stop being amazed by other people's insights.  Never stop the creative process or admiring it.

No comments: