Friday, April 6, 2012

The Truth About Love

Picture by Donald Weller
I no longer seek Unconditional Love only the truth of love.  I think I've been looking for the truth of love all this time but didn't know that was what it was called.  

So many people say they want someone to love not realizing that it's a goal and the idea of love they are looking for.  When I say idea I mean ideal because when someone says that want love they don't actually realize that they already have been assigned someone to love.  

Not like a soul mate and yes, at risk of sounding corny, that person is you.  This body, this soul.  Love is a feeling--that's what your looking for.  Can you feel love towards yourself?  Seeking the truth of love, what it is, what it means to me is just as profound as, what is life? 
 
I've decided that if God is love then dogs were put in my path to learn what love is.  Dogs do love unconditionally and I've come to understand that people don't.  People can but they run the risk of not loving themselves unconditionally and to do that would miss the whole point of unconditional love.  Because only you can give you that kind of love. 
 
Seeking the truth of love is different.  Trying to figure out what love is by seeking love without possession is something I find worth investigating.  I remind myself you must be willing to let go for the sake of the thing you love without resentment yet keep it near so the feeling is always with you.  The truth of love brings me back to the road of the self.  Who I am, what I'm about.  

When I come from this place, this centered secure place, I can find the truth of love.  Possession falls away like an irrelevant toy.  But a toy it is and sometimes I return to it when I need to return to the ego before I lose the sense of self-preservation.  I am the moth fluttering towards the light of love and retreating before I am obliterated into the whole of it all.  Is love the balance between these two places or is love the light?  Will the truth blind or kill me?  Or will I join it at the discovery of my search?

No comments: