Monday, May 9, 2011

Book Opinion: Abraham Lincoln; Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln; Vampire Hunter
Narrated by Scott Holst

I was actually not interested in reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter but the voice of Scott Holst could not be denied.  I'm leaning more and more to audiobooks because I can "read" during my commute.  I love reading a story but my eyes wander on the page sometimes and I've been known to skip over important passages.  Also, who doesn't love to be read to?

I'm finding I'm not as selective with the purchases of audiobooks, now purchasing audiobooks I've already read (with my eyes), because I have a narrator I can hear.  Now I think, oh--10 hours?  That's 7 days of commute time.  Suddenly 1,000 page books don't scare me!  A book changes when the words are spoken outloud.  This was also the case for this particular audiobook.  I don't think I would have been that interested in reading the book.  But when listening, it came alive. 

What really had me was the description and setting in the beginning.  I could see the old fading town.  I had a grasp on how life was.  It got more interesting from there.  Some might find the first pages boring, but it really did take off after you understood that vampires are real! 

Abraham Lincoln; Vampire Hunter has the feel of a memoir.  I really felt that Abe was the second narrator of the story.  Facts of his life coaleased with the fiction of Seth Grahame-Smith's storytelling.  I don't know about the accuracy as I'm no Civil war historian, but I feel as though there was a great deal of research put into this book.  Seth respectfully and tastefully wove this story to make me think, you know...that would make sense.

My only one question I had at the end was -- who were the eleven names on the note?  I can justify everything else to, why did Henry chose him to write the book?  To, how did Henry convince Abe to hand over the journals? 

I would recommend this book to those who like memiors, those who like history and vampires mixed together, and those who have studied the 16th president.  It's a slow pace book but by no means did it let go of my attention.

View all my reviews

No comments: