Thursday, March 28, 2013

Writer's Are Not Authors

Lady Alene - my first published story
It took seeing my first short story on the Amazon site for me to be able to know the difference between a writer and an author. At first I thought calling oneself an author was a bit, well, pompous? Self-righteous? 

But, during my journey I found authors and writers are two different things. Now, I know one person can be both, or either.
 

1) Writers produce words. They are not authors, yet, With out a completed and produced work on paper or digital.
 

2) Authors have gone through the process of publication, no matter how minimal.

Writers push pen across paper or tap keys and read from a screen. Writers create, study, research, analyze the next scene, phrase or the perfect word. 


Authors are a conglomerate of marketer, destiny maker, creator and in their spare time--writer. Or cower in a corner while biting their nails from the pressure of now being published.
 


I attest the difference of writers being mom's-to-be, while authors have already given birth. It's the "now what?" situation. 

The now what is for you to get out there and make friends! Ten should do. And I mean ten really avid friends. Because ten will turn to twenty, to a hundred, to a few thousand. When you were "just" a writer you had time. It might not have felt like it, but now you know the truth! Author's have even less time! But Author's have one thing that writer's don't. They have a finished product. they have a child to show you. 

Author's are a proud bunch and should be, especially if they self-published. Author's have something to show for their hard work! I know all you writers want to be authors so don't let anything stop you! Now, all you writers I'm ready for arguments! And all you author's, show my your baby!  

No comments: