Thursday, April 14, 2011

How To Feel Better


We all get a little down and when that happens to me I go through my checklist.

1) What have I eaten lately?
I make a quick mental note of what I've been eating.  Yep, laugh at me but a nutritionist who has been studying the effects of food can give you stats.  Stats like if you want to run faster, you can trim off your time by .05% from eating broccoli twice a week.  Okay, that stat I just made up, but it was something like that!  .05% doesn't seem like much but have you seen the milliseconds on runners times?

2) Have I taken time off for myself?
I walk the dog in the morning, but if I just do it as a chore, I've failed at calming my mind.  Listening to the birds, looking at the effects of the wind in trees, watching the traffic on the 210 fwy are all part of the relaxing part of walking a dog.  If I'm staring at the ground, in my head and not in the moment of walking the dog, I might as well be at work.  I ride my horses but sometimes I skip it because of writing "quota".  I have to remind myself, it's for my own good that I connect with these creatures that embody the element of wind so I can feel free.

3) How much sleep have I gotten?
Some people need 6-8 hours.  I like somewhere between 8-10 hours.  It makes a difference between falling asleep after lunch and having enough energy to go to the horses and walking the dog!

4) Have I taken the time to realize what I have?
When I've been eating right, sleeping well and been riding horses, sometimes I still feel like my life is crap.  Now, this may sound cruel, and I hope no one takes this the wrong way but I go to someplace like "Ride-On" a place for special needs children and adults.  It's a non-profit organization that allows these special needs people to ride horses.  Some are in wheelchairs.  Some walk in an unconventional way.  Some are mentally challenged.  Some have physical disorders.  You cannot walk away from there without feeling better about yourself.  That might sound cruel, but when I look at those kids and people I admonish myself for even thinking I have any right to not be thankful.  My inside voice, Stephonabitch, say's F.U.C.  If they can smile and have a good time, then what's your effing complaint.

These 4 simple things have gotten me out of a funk time and again.  They might work for you!

Click here for the Ride-on homepage

No comments: