Thursday, April 21, 2011

There are no Butterflies in Chernobyl

I've heard it said that some of the most delicate creatures are butterflies.  When these beautiful insects are around it means that everything is okay in the world.

I was young during the meltdown of Chernobyl but not too young to understand the repercussions.  Many people died from radiation in the town near Chernobyl.  It was a tragedy and I still remember hearing about the horrible deaths as a result of the meltdown.  They predicted 100 years would go by before it was habitable by anything. 

Twenty years later scientists went into the town near Chernobyl with camera-men and showed us a wildlife haven.  Migratory animals still don't manage there very well, but the locals that stayed recovered and show higher tolerances for radiation.  Radiation levels had declined but were still high, yet the inhabitants there were normal as in four legs, two eyes, two ears, two lungs, regular organs and limb digits.  Amazing how nature adapts.  I feel safe in knowing man can think he controls the essence of power, but man is just conceited if he thinks the world revolves around him and what he does. 

In the long run it gives me hope for Japan.  Yes it's horrible now.  Yes, there will be effects that will be shown over the course of decades.  No, I'm not looking forward to the reports and horrible deaths caused by radiation.  But what I've found is there ARE butterflies in Chernobyl.  I think they'll return to Japan too.

No comments: