Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Possessions That Return (Literally)

When we unloaded the car Sunday from our weekly escapades to faire we noticed one of the props we used was missing.  This prop is very expensive, has a full-time job at home, has heir-loom status and is an endearing part of the family.  This prop is a beautiful handmade utility from a metal smith we know and love (Rocky at Oso Forge).

We weren't terribly alarmed when we couldn't find it, it had to be in my basket, in the car or somewhere around.  DW looked on Sunday for it and became more concerned.  This was one of our utensils that we bring with us to our local restaurants.  It's amazing how a handcrafted tool can make cutting steak a breeze.  Of course we were upset, it had managed to wiggle it's way out of it sheath which is disturbing all on it's own.

I had given Emma her morning walk, I had gone to work.  DW brought the trash cans in and kissed me goodbye -- both of us had gone up and down the walkway to our door twice, but when DW left to go do chores for the day there in the middle of the walkway sat our missing knife.  I swear I'm not that oblivious.  There was no knife there before.  Emma walks that path and I would have seen it.  All I think of is the knife saying to itself, "well F---.  They're not going to find me here, I've got to do something."  And crawling it's way to the door dragging it's little metal ass behind it.  I wonder how much effort it took for our heir loom to make it back.  If that blade could talk...

No comments: