Tuesday, April 19, 2011

No Stirrups March

March was no stirrups month and I'm happy to report no one fell off because they didn't have their stabilizers.  Some call stirrups training wheels but I have to say they are very helpful and I don't think they are training wheels at all.  They are the type of equipment one takes for granted.  It's good, every so often, to remember that.  Removing what has been taken for granted not only makes one realize how much you rely on them but to also makes riders grow stronger, have confidence abilities and gain humbleness.

I have a student who had a horrible experience while not having her stirrup.  She swears she'll never go without stirrups.  In actual reality it's her own ability she doubts.  Most people don't need stirrups to ride, they help, but unless you don't have a functioning equilibrium then you don't physically need them.  In fact, you can gain a sense of your balance when you don't have stirrups.  You'll find out if you're leaning too far one way real quick.

I call stirrups the great stamina raisers.  They are great for keeping you in the saddle even when your sick, shaking from exhaustion because your fever has gone a point higher in the 90 degree weather and you have to use your diaphragm to belt out a lesson.  So I'm very grateful for stirrups.  I guess a whole post about them is my way of saying, "Thank you little oddly shaped pieces of metal!  You keep me in the saddle."

No comments: