Friday, April 8, 2011

You've Got Mail



Big business collapses when it doesn't keep up with technology.  No that's not right.  Big business fails when it doesn't meet the demands of its customers.  Which in Borders case it seems to me that it didn't keep up with how people were buying books. 

My boyfriend would peruse around Borders pick up the books and then buy them on his kindle.  He did this in Borders with kindle in hand.  You can't tell me he's the only one that did this either.  Barnes and Noble had their best month when their e-reader, the Nook, came out.  That might tell you something right there. 

So I beg the question, as a writer, now that it seems brick and mortar stores are failing, how do I get my book to my reader?  I see you pointing at Amanda Hocking, now put your hand down before I cut it off!  Have you read her blog?  She recently signed up with a publisher.  And, the reason was not solely to get her books into brick and mortar stores. 

So that’s kina good news!  I've looked at book trailers but it makes me want to watch the movie not necessarily read the book.  (I think they're cool though!)  Will more books be available by e-reader?  Amazon's recommendations are great but only seem to go so far.  There are parties, book signings and social networking but what else is there?  What are virtual tours?  How do promoters get the buzz out for your book?  What's involved? 

I'm ready to learn and I search for marketing tips on author sites but there's no real advice on how to market your book.  I'm finding they just have a firm that does it.  Published authors have to market their own book, but does that mean they are just doing the social media thing?  I doubt it.  So how much does it cost for those book marketers?  What's involved?  Really, how do you become a successful writer?  Honestly, not even the successful writers know! 

Stick with me, because I am going to tell you what works and what doesn't.  It'll be under the "marketing" tag and I plan to outline in detail.  And if anyone wants to share insight, be my guest!  

2 comments:

Jessie at Blog Schmog said...

I liked your "rant" at Rachelle Gardners blog. Then I read your profile and was thrilled to read about your Shire! I have a Shire as well. His name is Oliver (like the tractor). I used to ride dressage and compete some but now I just trail ride in the beautiful Idaho mountains!

I'll be interested to read about your marketing ideas.


Nice to "meet" you.

Unknown said...

Thank you! Nice to "meet" you too! I'm glad to know someone with a shire. "Gunny" is the first Shire I've worked with and I'm always amazed at how much heart he has. They all do really. I've been to Idaho once and just remember it had a huge sky and was very peaceful.

Thank you for stopping by!